The story of Las Primeras begins in 1950 when a group of women, headed by Mrs. Irene Vitalich [shown in photo on left], decided that there needed to be an auxiliary formed to assist Children's Home Society, located in Los Angeles, CA. She, along with a group of close friends, signed the Charter in November 1949.
Established as Las Madrinas, or "the godmothers", the members of the organization were instrumental in helping to create so many other local auxiliaries in our area and beyond.
In the early 1970's, the group decided that they would like to support the many local charities in SouthBay, rather than have all money raised go directly to Children's Home Society. After legal review it was decided that the organization could do this, but Children's Home Society would keep the auxiliary named Las Madrinas. So, the members at that time agreed upon the name, Las Primeras, because that is what they were, the "first ones."
Please enjoy viewing our archived photos of members, functions and friends over the last 60 years.
Below, we have included an excerpt from our Work of Heart Tribute video featuring June Kemler. Ms. Kemler was a past president of our organization and a truly remarkable woman.
We hope you enjoy.